Wanna challenged yourself with Malay proverbs that are direct-translated to English? I had a hard time translating it back to Bahasa Melayu though because all of these are hilarious.
Here's one short story by a local writer, Amir Muhamad. Never dull, but tasty, crunchy, spicy and juicy, as what he claimed.
The Breakup
To the front of Wati who is now in Bukit Tunku, whom I hope is well.
Wati,
I think our relationship should end here. My love for you was real but I have been clapping with one hand. You were so mean to me at your becoming-day party, just because you were with your rich friends while I'm from a difficult family. I never knew there was a prawn behind the rock all this while; you were using me to make your ex jealous. How my liver hurt when you showed your true self. I guess what they say is true: hornbills with hornbills, sparrows with sparrows. Let me now bring myself.
Maybe it was the Satan-water talking, but why did you have to call me such names? You dropped my face-water and scribbled charcoal all over my face. Once is enough. I don't want the banana to fruit two times.
I know I am just a dispatch guy but I still have feelings. I thought you were my liver-fruit but you saw me as just a pick-up brother at best and a joke at worst. All those times that we ate the wind at Lake Gardens, feeding the ducks and rowing the boats, I thought a love was blossoming. But you were planting sugarcane at your lips. I gave you my body and soul but after the honey had been extracted, the husk was thrown away.
What your friend Suzy said to me still plays in my ear: " Your fish-hook is so small, don't try to contend with the ocean!" How did she get this information about my fish-hook? Have you been telling stories from inside the mosquito-net?
I know my school is not as tall as yours. But I still have self-price. So just pretend I never existed in your life.
Yours in sadness,
Sham
Haha.
Can you figure out the peribahasa and simpulan bahasa in this short story?
Rojak, Muhammad, A (2010), ZI Publications Sdn. Bhd

No comments:
Post a Comment