Do you guys read classics? As in by Charlotte Bronte, Louisa May Alcott, Jane Austen, Enid Blyton, Roald Dhal and the like? British or American, it doesn't matter as I'm always a fan.
I used to read lots of classic literature growing up as my mum is an avid collector. She has a wide collection of all of those authors I stated above (and more!) and she straight away passed it all down to me the moment I knew how to read. The thing I like about our parents' era of education is that they are exposed to all of these classics, name it they just know it. No wonder their proficiency in English are way greater than the kids nowadays. During those times, the children that lives far away from the city can actually speak a good clear English. My mom was just a desa girl from Teluk Intan, Perak and all I could say, her English is superb.
Ok, back to classics. As I remember, my first ever classic I read was 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott. I clearly remember when mom forced me to read the abridged version of the book. I was seven or eight at that time, I don't think I could do the unabridged one. I became more and more fascinated with 'Little Women' after the movie became a hit played by all stars actresses, Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder, Claire Danes and Kirsten Dunst. It is basically about the lives of the March sisters during the post Civil War in America, and how they struggled of boundaries of the 19th century society placed towards females. At that age, how do I know about all of these? Civil War? Women's right? Nah. I am too young to comprehend all that. Nevertheless, the message that I got from this classic (and after much explanation by my mom) is the importance of family ties and friendship between sisters.
Anyhoots, there are other classics that I read back then and still is reading now. Yes, it does take ages for you to finish one classic. I have a habit of changing my book in the middle of the process of finishing it. Black Beauty, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, etc etc. Those kind of books can actually be your lullaby. It's either you love it or just hate it. I just stand in between.
How about Enid Blyton? Does the Famous Five and Secret Seven ever ring a bell to you? Those aren't really my favourite, but the best of Enid Blyton for me were of course, the one and only adventure series situated at a boarding school in Cornwall, Malory Towers. It is such an escapism and I still read that book until today. Will keep it nice and tuck for my future daughters soon. LOL. Enid Blyton has 5 series of Malory Towers between the year 1946 and 1951. Basically, it is about a girl, Darrel Rivers, who enters boarding school for the first time and her adventures sailing through school experiences such as friendship, music, academics and being independent. Remember the tuck shop? Tuck shop is an old fashioned sweet shop who specialised in retro traditional sweets and confectioneries. Imagine lemon sherbets, all types of fudges, liquorish, and jelly beans.. I love being in a candy shop! (There's one in Oxford called Mr. Sims. It's traditional and it is exactly like the ones Enid Blyton described in all of her books). Basically, the term tuck shop is normally used within the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, basically other parts of the British empire. I am surprised that mom used it when she was small. (She was in a convent school di kawasan kampung yang memang ada penjajah di sekolahnya, so that's why). It's was because of these books (and tuck shop.. heeee), I wanted to enter boarding school. so badly. Pfftt.
Here are the titles of Malory Towers series that maybe you could be interested in. Give it a try (for those who hasn't). The girls in the books may surprise you!
1. First Term at Malory Towers (1946)
2. Second Form at Malory Towers (1948)
3. Third Year at Malory Towers (1948)
4. Upper Fourth at Malory Towers (1949)
5. Last Term at Malory Towers (1951)
Ok, back to my reading. Till my next post.
The book cover
The blockbuster back then!
How about Enid Blyton? Does the Famous Five and Secret Seven ever ring a bell to you? Those aren't really my favourite, but the best of Enid Blyton for me were of course, the one and only adventure series situated at a boarding school in Cornwall, Malory Towers. It is such an escapism and I still read that book until today. Will keep it nice and tuck for my future daughters soon. LOL. Enid Blyton has 5 series of Malory Towers between the year 1946 and 1951. Basically, it is about a girl, Darrel Rivers, who enters boarding school for the first time and her adventures sailing through school experiences such as friendship, music, academics and being independent. Remember the tuck shop? Tuck shop is an old fashioned sweet shop who specialised in retro traditional sweets and confectioneries. Imagine lemon sherbets, all types of fudges, liquorish, and jelly beans.. I love being in a candy shop! (There's one in Oxford called Mr. Sims. It's traditional and it is exactly like the ones Enid Blyton described in all of her books). Basically, the term tuck shop is normally used within the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, basically other parts of the British empire. I am surprised that mom used it when she was small. (She was in a convent school di kawasan kampung yang memang ada penjajah di sekolahnya, so that's why). It's was because of these books (and tuck shop.. heeee), I wanted to enter boarding school. so badly. Pfftt.
Here are the titles of Malory Towers series that maybe you could be interested in. Give it a try (for those who hasn't). The girls in the books may surprise you!
1. First Term at Malory Towers (1946)
2. Second Form at Malory Towers (1948)
3. Third Year at Malory Towers (1948)
4. Upper Fourth at Malory Towers (1949)
5. Last Term at Malory Towers (1951)
Ok, back to my reading. Till my next post.
******
| "All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality -- the story of escape. It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times, how to escape." |




No comments:
Post a Comment