Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cest La Vie in Paris

Paris. My first time ever in Paris. How can I not be jakun? The romantic cliche of Eiffel Tower,the 'Mona Lisa' Louvre, Notre Dame, the movie Amelie situated in Monmarte, the parisian cafes along the street, creme brulee, Louis Vuitton and Chanel, macarons!, the bridge that Carrie Bradshaw walked on in one of the episodes of SATC and many other Parisian things related.

I was there for 3 nights and 4 whole days as we arrived in Paris as early as 8 am and departed as late as 10 pm. 4 days for me was not enough.

Here are my favourite top 5 things (not place) in Paris.

1. Monmartre

My favourite part of Paris is..not the Eiffel Tower or even the Louvre. For me, the soft spot goes to Monmartre. Montmartre is known for the white-domed Basilica of the Sacre Cour on its peak as well as it is famous for its nightclub districts. Not that I went to the club there, but the view especially at night was spectacular.



The exterior of Moulin Rouge nightclub, Blvd de Clichy, Metro: Blanche. It is situated beneath Monmartre, as I was here first before going up the hill to Monmartre. Built in 1885, famous for its high-kicking Cancan dance. It's expensive, therefore, I can only afford the exterior. Will make a point to watch the show with future husband or girlfriends.


Another nightclub in Monmartre situated next to the Moulin Rouge.


Sacre Cour in the evening



At night. Cantek sungguh.

Monmartre was also a mecca for artists, writers and poets gather together doing what they do best. The best for me is Place du Tertre, specifically a square situated in Monmartre where all the artist exhibit their paintings (since the 19th century). The famous Pablo Picasso, Amedeo Modigliani lived and worked in a commune in a building called Le Bateau - Lavoir during the years 1904 to 1909. Vincent Van Gogh had also worked in the area and drew some of his inspiration from here.

Spot the artists trying to sell their paintings


French musical. Didn't get to watch till the end as I could not comprehend!


French basker.Gorgeous girl with a gorgeous voice.


Jeng jeng jeng

2. French Cafes

The one thing everyone must try when in Paris are their cafes. It's not about the food or drinks, it is just for the sake of being in a French cafe. Yes, I must agree that their menu is very French indeed, as they have their very own cafe au lait, french crepe, croissants yang sangat sedap dan berlemak, creme brulee, french crepe and many more. Food in Paris I have to admit that it's a bit expensive compared to UK and other European countries, but what the hell, I'm in Paris!



Cafes along the street of Monmartre


Happy me!


Banana and nutella crepe. Yum!


My favourite crepe au fromage, aka cheese crepe


Croissant and baguette with butter and jam


Creme Brulee and cafe au lait



Scrumptious breads and desserts



3. Champs-Elysess

The next best place in Paris, is the avenue des Champs-Elysees, where it is a prestigious avenue in Paris. It is one of the most famous street in Paris, where all the luxury cafes and designer boutiques situated. LV, Chanel, Dior, Gucci etc, name it..you got it. Oh oh.. I saw Anne Hathaway lunching in one of the cafes in Champs-Elysees, but I was so scared to go up to her for an autograph (or photograph) because she had her big bulky guards all around her. She was gorgeous. The cafe that she was in was so posh and and there were so many gorgeous looking people sitting there (and men in black suit with bluetooth ear set standing outside of the cafe), so we kinda assumed that cafe is where all the celebrities dine).

Fact: Coco Chanel used to lived above this boutique!


Mighty Christian Dior


Louis Vuitton


A tip to not feel like an outcast or 'left out' when walking at the Champs-Elysees is to dress presentably. I know, you must think I'm a fashion conscious or maybe shallow to even say (or write) this, but everyone who goes there are so presentable, from up to toe. Don't even think of bringing a replica of Chanel, LV, etc. They will spot it instantly and you will be banned from their boutiques forever. And it has happened.

The policewomen along the Champs-Elysees. I kid you not, even their uniforms were designed by Armani.

4. The Palace and Garden Versailles

Visiting Versailles needs a whole day. Possibly you have to start in the morning (at 10ish am?)and a closure in the evening by the garden of the palace. Versailles is a MUST go if you are a fan of French history (French Revolution, ring a bell?) and the famous (or infamous perhaps?) Marie Antoinette. The palace is so huge as it is being divided into many sections; South Wing, North Wing, Madame de Maintenon's apartments, Queen's apartment and private suite, King's apartment and private suite, Coronation room, Hall of Mirrors, Chapelle Royale, L'opera and many more. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go all to the sections mentioned above as there were so many people.
Penat wei. Tapi best.



So many visitors. It was Sunday.


The main gate of the palace - this is the entrance to the Ministers' courtyard


Check out the queue man!


Marble Courtyard - This courtyard is decorated with marble paving, urns, busts and a gilded balcony.


Chapelle Royale - The chapel's first floor was reserved for the royale family and the ground floor for the court. The interior is richly decorated in white marble, gilding and Baroque murals.



Sheena at the Hall of Mirrors - Most great state occasions were held in this multi-mirrored room full of mirrors. Everything is made of gold.

A must place to go after the Chateau is the garden. It is situated to the west of the palace, and the gardens cover around 900 hectares of the land. Most of landscape of the garden depicts 'French Garden' style and it was designed(?) and maintained by Andre Le Notre.

Standing right outside the palace. See how huge it is!

Can I have a garden just like this?


To know more on the history of the Chateau and Garden of Versailles, I recommend you to watch the movie 'Marie Antoinette' (2006) acted by Kirsten Dunst as Antoinette.


5. Musee du Louvre


The louvre. Tak sah pergi Paris tak pergi lawat Louvre. The louvre is one of the world's largest museums and the most visited art museum in the world. It is situated in the central of Paris and by the right bank of the river Seine. Nearly 40000 objects and paintings from prehistory to the 19th century are exhibited in the museum of the Louvre. (Wikipedia, 2010)

The Louvre - The main entrance designed by architect I M Pei, was opened in 1989


Perrault's Colonnade - The east facade with its majestic rows of columns was built by Claude Perrault, who worked on the Louvre with Louis Le Vau in the mid-17th century


Pavillon Richelieu - The 19th century pavillon is part of the Richelieu Wing was once home to the Ministry of Finance but now converted into magnificent galleries.


I went inside the Louvre, but only managed to see a quarter of it which was the Denon wing. (most of the famous paintings and sculpture are in this wing). The museum was so huge and it has 4 wings altogether. Satu wing pun penat wei.



Seciput je si Mona Lisa ni. Penat la dok excited. LOL

So, these are my top 5 favourite things in Paris. There are many more monuments in Paris that I visited such as Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame, but I prefer these 5 things more.


Coffee by the Eiffel Tower


Night cruise by River Seine. A must.


Notre Dame




So friends, I would suggest that before you plan your visit to Paris, read up on Paris (or maybe watch movies that are Paris related).Paris is such a vibrant city as it is rich for its own history, literature and art. Paris is different than many other European countries. It has its own characteristics with different architectures, music, cuisines and even the people.

Planning to visit Europe? Paris is the way to go!

I would definitely come back again soon ;)


 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Shida,
    Looking at your pictures in Paris makes my heart flutter. :) The city is beautiful and I don't know where to begin to prepare for. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...